July 17, 2024

Education For Live

Masters Of Education

Dandridge Elementary School dismissed early after student sets fire

2 min read
Dandridge Elementary School dismissed early after student sets fire

DANDRIDGE, Tenn. (WVLT) – Dandridge Elementary School closed early on Monday due to a bathroom fire set by a student.

According to a release, the incident occurred at 7:50 a.m. in a restroom on the second-grade hallway in which a student allegedly used a device to set toilet paper on fire in a stall.

Students were reportedly entering the building to prepare for the day when a staff member noticed the smell of smoke. Upon entering the restroom, the staff member observed the smoke and found the fire which had spread to the plastic molding that holds the paper onto the walls, a release stated.

“Fire evacuation procedures were immediately implemented by sounding the fire alarm, evacuating the building, and notifying emergency officials,” a release said. “Additionally, one staff member used a portable fire extinguisher to try to contain the fire.”

Since the school is located close to the Jefferson Co. Justice Center, Jefferson Co. Sheriff Jeff Coffey and his staff opened space to place the children while they waited for their parents.

Parents were notified shortly after the incident. The student who set the fire was identified, disciplined and will not be on campus for the remainder of the first semester.

A decision on resuming school will be made during early evening hours after cleanup crews provide an estimated timeframe for the work to be completed, officials announced.

The principal made a statement regarding the incident.

The director of schools said he was grateful no one was injured in the fire.

The fire was contained, and no injuries have been reported.

This story is developing.

Copyright 2021 WVLT. All rights reserved.

Copyright © admhduj.com All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.